Monday, May 22, 2006

Waking Life

Hey, who doesn't like picking apart the fabric of reality? Really! Are you awake right now? How do you know? Or is all this a dream? This movie is a favorite of mine because we all live in world full of people who say there post modern. Telling us that it doesn't matter how you think about particular things but then tearing you apart when you tell them that you don't see it there way. But what happens when all the ideas most anyone has ever had are just all thrown out on the table for you to pick up and hold or just stare at and let you, the dreamer that you and all of us are decide for ourselves what this crazy thing called life really means to us. The movie is a definate 10, with wild and creative animation that makes you wonder if your watching a movie or just sleeping peacefully while your darkest dreams and deepest desires, dance across the screens we all have hidden deep inside our minds. If you liked this film. Try any Charlie Kauffman film on for size, man can that guy warp your mind! He's pure Genius!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree that this is one of the more praiseworthy works of art created. Not only because it is entertaining but because it inspires life beyond itself in the form of the conversations it creates after watching. I have easily spent more time talking about the themes in this movie than I have taken watching it. In addition, this is a movie that can be enjoyed 10 minutes at a time since it is set up in blocks of conversation. Each block is equally as strong on its own as it is significant to the whole .

I am looking forward to Linklaters next project to be coming out this year also using the Rotoscope cartoon-ish effect, A Scanner Darkly. The use of the themes of Phil K. Dick (someone whom I know sadly little of) came across well in Waking Life. I hope for more in A Scanner Darkly.

Two off-topic points...

I found the title of the movie I though we were going to be watching the night we saw The Man Without A Past. Its called Unknown White Male ( link: http://www.unknownwhitemalemovie.com/trailer/ ) A VERY similar circumstance, but this is in documentary form.

Also I notice you have Barton Fink on your list of titles to see. I have that if you want to borrow it. Upon first watching, I was left very bewildered. But I researched different interpretations and reviews on the title, and the whole aura surrounding the movie blew my mind. Its likely one of my favorite movies.

-Marques

Sat May 27, 02:02:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home